2018 Global Challenge
- Pula, Croatia
- July 10th-13th, 2018
- Tournament Site
The 2018 USA Volleyball Collegiate National Team – Europe departs today, on America’s Independence Day national holiday, for a 12-day European training trip. Led by Louisville head coach Dani Busboom-Kelly, the 12-woman roster will land in Venice, Italy on July 5th, and will train and scrimmage until they begin play in the Global Challenge from July 10th-13th in Pula, Croatia.
There has been one big change to the roster: UCLA outside hitter MacKenzie May, who was originally selected for the squad, withdrew. She has been replaced by Iowa State outside hitter Jess Schaben, a fellow native-Iowan, on the roster.
The Global Challenge is organized by the promotional company Bring It USA, and is now in its 14th edition. The tournament will feature a 23 & under division (where the U.S. Collegiate National Team will compete) and a 17 & under division.
There will be 7 teams competing in the tournament. Other American collegiate rosters includes a Mountain West Conference all-star team, two teams organized by Bring it On Productions, a “USA East Coast” squad that is a Patriot League all-star team, a Croatia Select roster, and a squad from PVK Olymp Praha in Prague, Czech Republic. The two European-based teams are technically not U23 rosters, but are very close.
The U17 tournament features a more balanced international field, with just 3 American teams among 9 participants. A Hungarian junior team and a junior squad from famed Italian club Modena are among the participants in that tournament.
U.S. Collegiate National Team Roster
Name (Position, School, Height, College Eligibility Remaining, Hometown, Youth Club)
- Alexis Dirige (L, Washington State University, 5-2, 2, San Francisco, California, Vision Volleyball Club)
- Leah Edmond (OH, University of Kentucky, 6-2, 2, Lexington, Kentucky, Lexington United)
- Audriana Fitzmorris (OPP, Stanford University, 6-6, 1, Overland Park, Kansas, MAVS)
- Amanda Green (OH, University of Louisville, 6-1, 2, Skokie, Illinois, Wildcat Juniors Volleyball Club)
- Danielle Hart (M, University of Wisconsin, 6-4, 4, Virginia Beach, Virginia, Coastal Virginia VBC)
- Kirstie Hillyer (M, Colorado State University, 6-6, 2, Bayfield, Colorado, Four Corners)
- Taylor Mims (OPP, Washington State University, 6-3, 1, Billings, Montana, Montana Juniors)
- Berkeley Oblad (M, University of Utah, 6-4, 1, Henderson, Nevada, Vegas Encore)
- Katie Oleksak (S, Colorado State University, 5-10, 2, Phoenix, Arizona, Arizona Storm)
- August Raskie (S, Oregon, 6-0, 1, Colorado Springs, Colorado, Front Range Volleyball Club)
- Jess Schaben (OH, Iowa State University, 1, Defiance, Iowa, River City Juniors)
- Avery Skinner (OH, University of Kentucky, 6-1, 3, Katy, Texas, Houston Skyline Volleyball Club)
- Head Coach: Dani Busboom Kelly (head coach, University of Louisville)
- Assistant Coach: Branden Higa (head coach, California Baptist University)
- Assistant Coach: Marie Zidek (head coach, DePaul University)
- Athletic Trainer: Megan Smith (Illinois State University)
- Team Leader: Tim Kelly