Valparaiso senior outside hitters Allison Ketcham and Katherine Carlson both reached 1,000 career kills and became part of an elite group of nine players in school history with 1,000 kills and 1,000 digs.
Entering the week, Carlson needed 20 kills and Ketcham was just 22 kills from 1000. Both were already members of the 1,000 dig club with 1,113 and 1,592 respectively.
In Tuesday’s five-set win against Purdue Fort Wayne, Ketcham notched a 16-kill, 16 dig double-double to go with six blocks. Carlson registered 11 kills, 16 digs and three stuffs.
In Friday’s match, each player posted a double-double with Ketcham turning in 11 kills and 12 digs, while Carlson added 10 kills and 10 digs.
All told, Ketcham now boasts 1,005 career kills and 1,620 career digs, just 34 away from highest tally for a non-libero in program history. Ketcham has now posted 37 double-doubles, including six in 2018
Congratulations to @VU_VB senior Allison Ketcham on reaching 1,000 career kills in the 2nd set tonight at Indiana State – she becomes the 8th member of the program’s 1,000 kill/1,000 dig club! #GoValpo #MVCVB pic.twitter.com/rkVg4B6Z5Z
— Valpo Athletics (@valpoathletics) September 21, 2018
Carlson registered her 1,000th career kill at 3-0 in Set 3 as the Crusaders raced out to a 10-1 advantage. Carlson’s double-double on Friday marked her sixth of the season and the 36th of her Valpo career.
Another set, another senior hits 1,000 career kills – congratulations to @VU_VB senior Katherine Carlson on reaching the milestone! Carlson joins Ketcham and just 7 others in the 1,000 kill/1,000 dig club at Valpo as well! #GoValpo #MVCVB pic.twitter.com/aJ1fmQJERt
— Valpo Athletics (@valpoathletics) September 22, 2018
Valparaiso def. Indiana State 3-0 (27-25, 25-20, 25-20)
- Valparaiso moves to 14-2, 1-0 MVC; Indiana State falls to 7-6, 0-1 MVC
- Box Score
- Valparaiso Recap / Indiana State Recap
- Valparaiso moved to 14-2 on the season, matching its best start since 2014 and 2015 (14-2), by picking up its eighth straight win.
- Valpo outhit ISU .174 to .134 in the match and also outdid the Sycamores in kills (44-41) and aces (6-3). Indiana State boasted a 9-8 edge in blocks.
- Both teams struggled offensively in Set 3 with the Crusaders managing a .054 effort (12-9-56) and the Sycamores hitting .000 (9-9-51).
- Laura Gross led all hitters with 16 kills for ISU, just missing a double-double by chipping in nine digs to go with three blocks.