Courtesy: Big West Conference
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
LINDSEY RUDDINS, UC SANTA BARBARA
Senior • OH • Laguna Niguel, Calif. • Aliso Niguel HS
• Lindsey Ruddins collected her fifth Big West Women’s Volleyball Player of the Week award this season, closing out her junior campaign with two dominating performances for UC Santa Barbara.
• The 6-foot-2 outside hitter averaged 6.17 kills, 4.17 digs and 0.83 blocks in Gaucho sweeps over Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside.
• Ruddins hit an efficient .357 over the two matches, with 37 kills and only seven errors in 84 attempts.
• She tallied 15 kills on .353 hitting (15-3-34) against the Titans. She added eight digs, two block assists and an ace.
• Against the Highlanders, she punished them for 22 kills, 17 digs, three aces and three blocks. She swung at a .360 (22-4-50) clip against UC Riverside, her second-best hitting percentage during Big West play.
• Her 22-kill, 17-dig effort versus UCR represented her 15th double-double of the year.
• The 22 kills against UCR marked the fifth time in her career that she had that many in a three-set match.
• Ruddins finished the season with a career-high 575 kills, the fourth-most in a single-season in UCSB history.
• It is the ninth career weekly honor for Ruddins, who is now tied for third all-time in Big West history with former All-Americans Danielle Scott of Long Beach State and Elsa Stegemann of Pacific.
.@UCSB_Volleyball close out the regular season with the nods for Offensive and Freshman #BWCAOTW.
📰 https://t.co/Mzqhw0Fcgt #GoGauchos #PlayBig 🤠🏐 pic.twitter.com/7tM0ShOYuo
— Big West Volleyball (@BigWestWVB) November 19, 2018
Others nominated: Torrey Van Winden (Cal Poly); Tyler Spriggs (Long Beach State); Chelsea Doyle (UC Riverside); Casey Castillo (Hawai‘i)
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
REYN AKIU, HAWAI‘I
Senior • L/DS • Honolulu, O’ahu • Texas Tech
• Reyn Akiu collected her third Big West Women’s Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week honor as the Hawai‘i senior averaged 4.71 digs in a pair of wins over UC Irvine and UC Davis.
• The 5-foot-3 libero/defensive specialist led UH’s defense with 33 total digs. She had a team-high 15 digs against the Anteaters and topped the squad with 18 versus the Aggies.
• Akiu also dished out seven assists over the two contests.
• Akiu finished with double-digit digs in all but one match during the regular season.
• Her 431 digs ranks No. 4 in the Big West.
Congratulations Tita! Well deserved! https://t.co/rxkhwWrFfh
— Hawaii W. Volleyball (@HawaiiWVB) November 19, 2018
Others nominated: Katherine Brouker (Cal Poly); Yizhi Xue (Long Beach State); Nicole Rodriguez (UC Riverside); Emilia Petrachi (UC Santa Barbara)
FRESHMAN PLAYER OF THE WEEK
OLIVIA LOVENBERG, UC SANTA BARBARA
S • San Diego, Calif. • Canyon Crest Academy
• Olivia Lovenberg closed out her first season in a UC Santa Barbara uniform with her third Big West Women’s Volleyball Freshman Player of the Week award.
• The 5-foot-8 setter averaged 13.33 assists per set to help the Gauchos sweep Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside to conclude Big West play.
• Lovenberg dished out 38 assists to go along with eight digs, two kills and an ace against the Titans.
• She handed out 42 helpers against the Highlanders, her highest total in any three-set match this season.
• Lovenberg added 11 digs against UCR to secure her ninth double-double of the season.
• With 1,197 assists, Lovenberg becomes the first Gaucho to lead the Big West in total assists since 2004.
Others nominated: Meredith Phillips (Cal Poly); Kashauna Williams (Long Beach State); Abby Marjama (UC Irvine); Christina Escamilla (UC Riverside)