2018 World University Beach Championships
The two American men’s teams stumbled out of the gate at the World University beach games with USA Collegiate Beach champions Jon Justice/Adam Wienckowski of Florida State and runner-up Brett Rosenmeier/Colton Cowell of Hawaii both going 0-2 with straight set losses.
Justice/Weinckowski lost to Dan John/Eric Stadie of Germany and Florian Breer/Yves Haussener of Switzerland in Pool C.
Cowell/Rosenmeier fell to French duo Olivier Barthelemy/Romain Di Giantommaso (21-13, 21-17) and Czech pair Jakub Gala/Martin Pihera (21-16, 21-16) in Pool E.
All eight pools saw two teams go 2-0 to set up pool title matches on Tuesday.
- Pool A: Bennet Poniewaz/David Poniewaz (Germany) and Oscar Jimenez/Hugo Rojas (Spain)
- Pool B: Mateusz Lysikowski/Mateusz Paszkowski (Poland) and Pablo Prieto/Ignacio Zavala (Chile)
- Pool C: Florian Breer/Yves Haussener (Switzerland) and Dan John/Eric Stadie (Germany)
- Pool D: Felix Friedl/Maximilian Trummer (Austria) and Georgios Chrysostomou/Antonis Liotatis (Cypress)
- Pool E: Olivier Barthelemy/Romain Di Giantommaso (France) and Jakub Gala/Martin Pihera (Czech Republic)
- Pool F: Ruben Penninga/Tom Van Steenis (Netherlands) and Thomas Hartles/Alani Nicklin (New Zealand)
- Pool G: Gabriel Burlacu/Jake MacNeil (Canada) and Fan Yang Mark Shen/Kingsley Tay (Singapore)
- Pool H: Alejandro Huerta/Javier Huerta (Spain) and Paul Burnett/Maximilian Gehrer (Australia)
Only three of the 32 matches went to tiebreak.
Gala/Pihera topped Switzerland’s Mosimann/Scheidegger 21-12, 18-21, 15-6, while Penninga/Van Stennis held on for a 21-13, 23-25, 15-9 win over Czech pair Stastny/Vala. Burnett/Guehrer wrapped up men’s action with a 21-12, 22-24, 15-11 win over China’s Zeng/Zheng.
2018 World University Championships – Day 1
Poniewaz/Poniewaz (Germany) def. Dhia/Ali (Saudi Arabia) 21-9, 21-15
Jimenez/Rojas (Spain) def. Abramenka/Piatrushka (Belarus) 21-17, 21-18
Poniewaz/Poniewaz def. Abramenka/Piatrushka 21-14, 21-15
Jimenez/Rojas def. Dhai/Ali 21-18, 21-16
Lysikowski/Paszkowski (Poland) def. Nicolini/Bocalon (Argentina) 21-14, 21-13
Prieto/Zavala (Chile) def. Mamabolo/Mndingi (South Africa) 21-14, 21-17
Lysikowski/Paszkowski def. Mamabolo/Mndingi 21-8, 21-15
Prieto/Zavala def. Nicolini/Bocalon 24-22, 21-10
Breer/Haussener (Switzerland) def. Harada/Shibata (Japan) 21-15, 21-15
John/Stadie (Germany) def. Justice/Wienckowski (USA) 21-17, 21-16
Breer/Haussener def. Justice/Wienckowski 21-10, 21-13
John/Stadie def. Harada/Shibata 21-15, 21-17
Friedl/Trummer (Austria) def. Lobnik/Primec (Slovenia) 21-11, 21-14
Chrysostomou/Liotatis (Cypress) def. Hakobyan/Balebekyan (Armenia) 21-16, 21-12
Friedl/Trummer def. Hakobyan/Balebekyan 21-14, 21-13
Chrysostomou/Liotatis def. Lobnik/Primec 21-16, 21-13
Barthelemy/Di Giantommaso (France) def. Cowell/Rosenmeier (USA) 21-13, 21-17
Gala/Pihera (Czech Republic) def. Mosimann/Scheidegger (Switzerland) 21-12, 18-21, 15-6
Barthelemy/Di Giantommaso/Mosimann/Scheidegger 21-9, 21-11
Gala/Pihera def. Cowell/Rosenmeier 21-16, 21-16
Penninga/Van Steenis (Netherlands) def. Kitagawa/Kurokawa (Japan) 21-18, 21-13
Hartles/Nicklin (New Zealand) def. Stastny/Vala (Czech Republic) 21-13, 21-13
Penninga/Van Steenis def. Stastny/Vala 21-13, 23-25, 15-9
Hartles/Nicklin def. Kitagawa/Kurokawa 24-22, 21-15
Burlacu/MacNeil (Canada) def. Sandun/Asanka (Sri Lanka) 21-10, 21-13
Shen/Tay (Singapore) def. Loitarenko/Stasenko (Ukraine) 21-17, 21-11
Burlaca/MacNeil def. Loitarenko/Stasenko 21-14, 21-15
Shen/Tay def. Sandun/Asanka 25-23, 21-13
Huerta/Huerta (Spain) def. Zeng/Zheng (China) 21-11, 21-12
Burnett/Guehrer (Australia) def. Muditha/Udara (Sri Lanka) 21-16, 21-12
Huerta/Huerta def. Muditha/Udara 21-9, 21-13
Burnett/Guehrer def. Zeng/Zheng 21-12, 22-24, 15-11