The American women’s volleyball team will host Canada in an international friendly on June 13th. The teams will play at JSerra High School in San Juan Capistrano, California, about midway between Los Angeles and San Diego, and about 45 minutes from the Americans’ training base in Anaheim.
This will be one of four opportunities for locals to see the American women play at local schools over the next month. Team USA will play 3 intrasquad scrimmages as well, with scheduled events on May 19th, May 26th, and June 2nd.
The friendly between the Americans and their neighbors to the north will begin at 7PM Pacific Time and tickets will be sold at the door starting an hour before match time. The JSerra Pavillion seats over 2,000 spectators.
The match will be Team USA’s first international since taking a bronze medal at the 2016 Olympic Games. For both teams, this will be a final tuneup before the Pan American Cup from June 16-25 in Peru – a qualifier for the World Grand Prix.
In spite of being so close geographically, the Canadian and American women have not played frequently in recent years. In the last decade, the two teams have only met 7 times (according to USA Volleyball records), with the United States dominating in all of the matches. The Americans haven’t dropped a set to Canada since 2009.
Recent USA vs. Canada results
- 1/7/2016 – USA def. Canada 3-0 (25-18, 25-18, 25-15) – NORCECA Olympic Qualification Tournament
- 9/28/2015 – USA def. Canada 3-0 (25-15, 25-17, 25-19) – NORCECA Championship
- 9/20/2013 – USA def. Canada 3-0 (25-22, 25-14, 25-15) – NORCECA Championship semi-finals
- 7/12/2012 – USA def. Canada 3-0 (25-15, 25-22, 25-15) – Pan American Cup
- 9/13/2011 – USA def. Canada 3-0 (25-19, 25-19, 25-23) – NORCECA Championship
- 9/25/2009 – USA def. Canada 3-1 (17-25, 25-10, 25-23, 25-21) – NORCECA Championship
- 9/21/2007 – USA def. Canada 3-0 (25-18, 25-12, 25-23) – NORCECA Championship