- October 4, 2018
- Gonzaga def. Santa Clara 3-2
- Pepperdine def. Pacific 3-1
- Loyola Marymount def. Saint Mary’s 3-0
- Portland def. San Francisco 3-0
Santa Clara battled Gonzaga for five sets, before falling to the Zags 15-12 in the fifth set. The Bulldogs’ win keeps the Broncos winless in conference play. Elsewhere, Pepperdine remained a half game behind #1 BYU with a four-set home win over Pacific. Loyola Marymount and Portland both earned home sweeps Thursday night with wins over Saint Mary’s and San Francisco.
*MATCH OF THE NIGHT*
GONZAGA DEF. SANTA CLARA 3-2 (25-16, 23-25, 23-25, 25-21, 15-12)
- Gonzaga improves to 5-12, 2-2 in the WCC; Santa Clara drops to 5-12, 0-5.
- Martin Centre; Spokane, Washington
- Box score
- Gonzaga Recap/Santa Clara Recap
- Outside hitter Sarah Penner led the way for the Zags, as she tallied 17 kills. Middle blocker Peighton De Von (12), outside hitter Kaylie Loewen (11), and setter Jenna Kuehen (10) all registered double-digit kills as well.
- Outside hitter Michelle Shaffer had a big night for the visiting Broncos, finishing with a match-high 24 kills while hitting .388.
- Outside hitter Anna McCreadie added 12 kills and fellow outside hitter Anna Kantor posted a double-double with 10 kills and 11 digs for Santa Clara.
- Both teams hit relatively well. Gonzaga finished at .298 while Santa Clara was at .242.
- The Zags held the advantage at the net, outblocking the Broncos (12.5-7) and edging them 8-2 in aces.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Gonzaga overcame a 2-1 deficit Thursday night to knock off visiting Santa Clara in five sets to keep the Broncos winless in the West Coast Conference.
The first set was all Zags, as the Bulldogs raced out to an early 7-2 advantage and never looked back. After Santa Clara cut the deficit to five at 21-16, Gonzaga ended the set on a 4-0 spurt to take the opener, 25-16.
The second set belonged to Santa Clara as the Broncos controlled the pace. Gonzaga kept it close throughout, but Santa Clara held off the Bulldogs 25-23 to even the match.
The third set was nearly identical to the second as Santa Clara once again held a slim lead over Gonzaga before finishing the Zags off 25-23 to take the lead in the match.
With the score tied at 20 in the fourth, Gonzaga used a late 5-1 run to force a decisive fifth set.
In the fifth, Gonzaga took the lead 7-6 and didn’t relinquish it, finishing off the Broncos, 15-12.
PEPPERDINE DEF. PACIFIC 3-1 (25-20, 25-20, 17-25, 25-11)
- Pepperdine improves to 11-5, 5-1; Pacific stumbles to 6-10, 1-4 in the WCC.
- Firestone Fieldhouse; Malibu, California
- Box score
- Pepperdine Recap/Pacific Recap
- Outside hitter Hannah Frohling led the Waves offensively, finishing with 16 kills. Opposite hitter Rachel Ahrens was big for Pepperdine as well, tallying 14 kills.
- Middle blocker Alli O’harra put up seven blocks to help the Waves control the battle at the net.
- Pacific was led by outside hitter Kaitlyn Lines, who finished with 15 kills for the Tigers. Outside hitter Riley Ramsey chipped in 13 kills and fellow outside hitter Riley Patterson added 12.
- Pepperdine hit .293 as a team at home while limiting Pacific to .175.
#WINNINGWAVES! Pepperdine wins set four, 25-11 and takes the match 4-1 over Pacific! #WavesUp pic.twitter.com/FgBhI4yrQm
— Pepperdine W. Volley (@WavesVolleyball) October 5, 2018
LOYOLA MARYMOUNT DEF. SAINT MARY’S 3-0 (25-19, 25-20, 25-19)
- Loyola Marymount moves to 14-3, 4-2;Saint Mary’s falls to 11-4, 3-2 in the WCC.
- Gersten Pavilion; Los Angeles, California
- Box score
- LMU Recap/Saint Mary’s Recap
- Loyola Marymount was led by an all-around performance from opposite hitter Sara Kovac. Kovac finished with 18 kills, 11 digs, two blocks, and hit .500.
- Outside hitter Bo Culo turned in a similar performance for the Lions, tallying 12 kills, nine digs, while hitting .417.
- Outside hitter Sienna Young led the visiting Gaels with 10 kills.
- Loyola Marymount made just nine errors while hitting .375. Saint Mary’s committed 11 errors and hit .220 as a team.
Sara Kovac notches her 18th kill of the night as LMU sweeps Saint Mary's, 25-19, 25-20, 25-19!
Kovac – 18 K, .500, 4 SA, 11 D, 2 BA
Culo – 12 K, .417
Lions back in action at 1 p.m. at home against Pacific on Saturday#JoinThePride pic.twitter.com/OvpW3LCMPJ
— LMU Volleyball (@lmulionsWVB) October 5, 2018
PORTLAND DEF. SAN FRANCISCO 3-0 (25-18, 25-21, 25-18)
- Portland improves to 13-4, 1-4; San Francisco falls to 8-8, 1-4 in the WCC.
- Chiles Center; Portland, Oregon
- Box score
- Portland Recap/San Francisco Recap
- The Pilots were led by outside hitter Reghan Pukis, who finished with 16 kills while hitting .351. Portland libero Carey Williams contributed a match-high 19 digs.
- Right side hitter Emily Zinger led the Dons with six kills, but hit .000.
- Portland hit .242 as a team and held San Francisco to .058.
- The win snaps a four-match losing streak for the Pilots after they opened the season 12-0.
- Gonzaga hosts San Francisco at 3 p.m. ET Saturday.
- Pepperdine welcomes Saint Mary’s at 12 p.m. ET Saturday.
- Santa Clara heads to Portland at 12 p.m. ET Saturday.
- Loyola Marymount hosts Pacific at 10 p.m. ET Saturday.
- Keep up to date on when your program is on TV by checking out VolleyMob’s TV Schedule.