2018-2019 CEV Champions League – First Round
Vojvodina NS Seme Novi Sad Def. Mladost Zagreb 3-1 (25-23, 21-25, 25-21, 28-26)
- SPC Vojvodina – Small Hall, NOVI SAD, SERBIA
- Attendance: 1900
- Vojdovina advances to the Champions League Second Round and will face Neftohimic 2010 Burgas; Mladost Zagreb will move down to the CEV Cup 16th Finals (Second Round)
Lazaro Travieso led the Serbian side again, with 19 points this time on 17 kills and 2 aces. Dmytro Viietskyi came off the bench in the second set and scored 18 points from the opposite position. Miran Kujundzic also came off the bench in the 2nd set to score 11 points on 11 kills with an .846 (85%) attack average from the outside.
Kruno Nikacevic led Mladost with 20 points, and Marko Sedlacek was right behind with 16 points (15 kills, 1 block). Marino Marelic and Ivan Milhaj both scored 11 points in the defeat.
Lindemans Aalst Def. CV Teurel 3-0 (34-32, 25-21, 25-21)
CV Teurel Wins Goldens Set 15-7
- Sportcentrum Schotte, AALST, BELGIUM
- Attendance: 1150
- CV Teurel advances to the Champions League Second Round and will face Chaumont 52 VB; Lindemans Aalst will drop down to the CEV Cup 16th Finals (Second Round)
Lindemans was knocking on the door of the Second Round, but fell short in the Golden Set after earning a sweep. Patryk Strzezek led all scorers with 23 points on 18 kills, 2 blocks, and 3 aces. Adrian Staszewski finished the match with 12 points from 11 kills and a block.
Andres Villena scored 22 points for Teurel. The Spanish team also got 16 points from Balso Radunovic and 13 from Thomas Ereu Santander.
Abiant Lycurgus Groningen Def. Posojilnica AICH/DOB 3-2 (25-20, 24-26, 19-25, 25-19, 17-15)
- BSH Sportpark, KLAGENFURT, AUSTRIA
- Attendance: 1578
- Posojilnica AICH/DOB advances to the Champions League Second Round against United Volleys Frankfurt; Abiant Lycurgus Groningen will enter the CEV Cup at the 16th Finals (Second Round)
While Lycurgus was able to pull out the dramatic win in the tie-break, they needed to win in 3 or 4 sets in order to force a Golden Set and have a chance to advance. Posojilnica’s Matej Mihajlovic led the match with 21 points on 19 kills, 1 block, and 1 ace while only playing in the first 3 sets. Maximilian Landfahrer chipped in 20 points from 16 kills, 2 blocks, and 2 aces.
Lycurgus got 15 points from Wytze Kooistra. He did not play in the final set, but the outcome had already been decided at that point. Frits Van Gestel and Erik Van Der Schaaf both scored 12 points from the outside hitter position for the Dutch champions.
Istanbul BBSK Def. Ford Store Levoranta Sastamala 3-1 (25-23, 25-19, 23-25, 25-16)
- Hidayet Turkoglu Spor Salonu, ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- Attendance: 1065
- Istanbul BBSK moves on to the Second Round of the Champions League against PAOK Thessaloniki; VaLePa falls to the CEV Cup, where they will play in the 16th Finals (Second Round)
Istanbul BBSK is made up entirely of Turkish players, and they handled business against the Finnish champions to move on to the 2nd Round. Baturalp Gungor led Istanbul with 16 points on 13 kills and 3 aces. Metin Toy and Gokhan Gokgoz both chipped in 15 points.
Arvis Greene led the match with 17 points on 17 kills for VaLePa. Daniel Jansen Vandoorn wsa the only other player for VaLePa to register double-digit points. He finished with 13 points on 10 kills, 2 blocks, and 1 ace.
PAOK Thessaloniki Def. VRCK Kazincbaricka 3-0 (25-16, 25-12, 25-19)
- PAOK Palace Sport, THESSALONIKI, GREECE
- Attendance: 1100
- PAOK Thessaloniki advances to the Champions League Second Round and will face Istanbul BBSK; VRCK Kazincbaricka drops to the CEV Cup 16th Finals (Second Round)
Mitar Djuric led PAOK into the Second Round with 19 points from 16 kills, 2 blocks, and 1 ace. Alexander Shafranovich contributed 11 points, and Evgenios Gkortsaniouk chipped in 10 points (9 kills, 1 block).
David Szabo led his team with 11 points on 9 kills and 2 aces, but he only hit .103 (31%). Peter Blazsovics was the next-highest scorer for Kazincbrika with 5 points on 5 kills.