Courtesy: Big West Conference
UC Riverside’s Kaiulani Ahuna‘s record breaking efforts earned her Big West Player of the Week honors to headline the league’s list of volleyball honorees.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
KAIULANI AHUNA, UC RIVERSIDE
Senior • OH • Hilo, Hawai‘i • Kamehameha Schools
- Kaiulani Ahuna enjoyed a monster week as she broke two school records while helping UC Riverside to a 2-1 record at the Fullerton-UCR Classic.
- The senior outside hitter totaled 80 kills over the three matches, a 6.67 kills per set average, and hit .364.
- Ahuna broke the program record for kills in the rally scoring era, tallying 30 in a four-set win over Montana. She swung at a .462 (30-6-52) clip and added 14 digs for a double-double.
- Ahuna bettered that effort with 33 kills in a five-set loss to Eastern Washington. The output broke the school’s Division I record. She finished the contest hitting .316 (33-9-76) and scooped up a career-high 23 digs.
- She also powered the Highlanders to a sweep of Massachusetts-Lowell with 17 kills on .333 efficiency to go along with two blocks.
Others nominated: Torrey Van Winden (Cal Poly); Madeline Schneider (Cal State Fullerton); Aeryn Owens (CSUN); Hailey Harward (Long Beach State); Emily Allen (UC Davis); Loryn Carter (UC Irvine); Lindsey Ruddins (UC Santa Barbara)
Congrats @kaiulala! 🐻🤞#GoHighlanders @UCRVolleyball https://t.co/QNmah94JsM
— Highlander Athletics (@UCR_Athletics) August 27, 2018
FRESHMAN PLAYER OF THE WEEK
OLIVIA LOVENBERG, UC SANTA BARBARA
S • San Diego, Calif. • Canyon Crest Academy
- Opening her collegiate career at the Miami Invitational, setter Olivia Lovenberg averaged 9.46 assists per set as UC Santa Barbara finished 2-1 overall.
- Lovenberg tallied a pair of double-doubles as the Gauchos knocked off host Miami (Ohio) in five sets and swept St. Louis. The Gauchos also fell in five sets to Cincinnati.
- Against the Bearcats, Lovenberg dished out 37 assists and had 10 digs for her first career double-double. She returned against the host Redhawks for 51 assists and 11 digs, adding a pair of blocks.
- Lovenberg handed out 35 assists (11.67 apg) in the sweep of the Billikens. She also had three digs and a block solo.
Others nominated: Avalon DeNecochea (Cal Poly); Haley Carmo (Cal State Fullerton); Lexi McLeod (CSUN); Kashauna Williams (Long Beach State); Josie Ough (UC Davis); Abby Marjama (UC Irvine); Marissa Holt (UC Riverside)
What a first weekend that was! Congratulations, Olivia 🏐🔥 https://t.co/rWWhADorUo
— UCSB W Volleyball (@UCSB_Volleyball) August 27, 2018
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
MALIA BOLKO, UC DAVIS
Senior • L/DS • Benicia, Calif. • St. Patrick-St. Vincent HS
- Malia Bolko tallied 86 digs over four contests as the UC Davis libero collected her seventh career Defensive Player of the Week award.
- She helped the Aggies to a 3-1 record while earning all-tournament honors at the team’s own Aggie Invitational. Bolko posted a team- and tournament-best 6.62 digs per set.
- Bolko’s 37 digs against Northern Arizona ranked No. 3 in school history – and the highest total in the program’s Division I era, which spans back to 2007.
- Bolko had double-digit scoops in all four matches, including wins against Utah Valley (13), Holy Cross (21) and Nevada (15). She also dished out 23 assists for a 1.77 average.
Others nominated: Katherine Brouker (Cal Poly); Savahna Costello (Cal State Fullerton); Carly Hill (Long Beach State); Makayla Wolfe (UC Irvine); Chelsea Doyle (UC Riverside); Emilia Petrachi (UC Santa Barbara)
Bolko earns seventh Big West weekly award – UC Davis https://t.co/fjlP20zpgu
— UCDWomen'sVolleyball (@UCDVolleyball) August 27, 2018
Leave a Reply