- Jinjiang, China
- May 31- June 3, 2018
Pool play is underway at the Jinjiang Two-Star and will wrap up late Friday night (ET).
The three American women’s teams in action are 5-1 with qualifiers Aurora Davis/Bree Scarbrough and Caitlin Ledoux/Kendra Vanzweiten each posting two wins to win their respective pools. Amanda Dowdy/Irene Pollock are 1-1 with a straight set loss to Ledoux/Vanzweiten and a 2-0 win over Greece’s Panagiota Karagkouni/Aliki Spiliotopoulou.
Women’s pool winners were:
- Pool A: No. 24 Aurora Davis/Bree Scarbrough (USA)
- Pool B: No. 2 Laura Calouori/Dunja Gerson (Switzerland)
- Pool C: No. 3 Ksenia Dabizha/Daria Mastikova (Russia)
- Pool D: No. 4 Sayaka Mizoe/Suzuka Hashimoto (Japan)
- Pool E: No. 17 Alise Lece/Ilze Liepinlauska (Latvia)
- Pool F: No. 19 Caitlin Ledoux/Kendra Vanzweiten (USA)
On the men’s side, second seeded Americans Trevor Crabb/John Mayer grabbed two wins to take the Pool B title.
Countrymen Eric Zaun/Troy Field lost their opening match to Germany’s Max Betzien/Jonathan Erdmann, but will look to rebound against China’s Jinqiu Liu/Xingyu Tang at 8:30 p.m. ET as pool play continues.
Pool play winners, each notching two wins and earning a spot in the next round are:
- Pool A: No. 13 seed Surin Jongklang/Adisorn Khaolumtarn (Thailand)
- Pool B: No. 2 Trevor Crabb/John Mayer (USA)
- Pool C: No. 3 Nils Ehlers/Lorenz Schumann of Germany
- Pool D: No. 4 Nejc Zemljak/Jan Pokersnik (Slovenia)
- Pool E: No. 19 Felix Friedl/Maximillian Trummer (Austria)
- Pool F: No. 8 Gabriel Kissling/Michiel Zandbergen (Switzerland)
Thus far five matches have gone to tiebreak. Qualifiers Friedl/Trummer accounted for two of those, besting No. 6 seed Nuttanon Inkiew/Sedtawat Padsawud of Thailand 21-19, 19-21, 15-13 and No. 7 Aaron Nusbaum/Michael Plantinga of Canada 21-18, 17-21, 16-14.
Kissling/Zandbergen went the distance in their second match, rebounding with a pair of deuce set wins after falling 29-27 in the opener against China’s Gao Peng/Li Yang.
Surin/Adisorn upset top seeded Ha Likejiang/Wu Jiaxin of China in their second match of the day.