Asian Games – Beach Volleyball
- Aug. 19 – 28, 2018
- Palembang, Indonesia
Four women’s matches and eight men’s determined the final eight teams per gender in the race for the Asian Games beach title.
Moving on in women’s play to meet the four pool champions are:
- Desi Ratnasari/Yokebed Eka (Indonesia)
- Xinxin Wang/Jinjin Zeng (China)
- Varapatsorn Radarong/Tanarattha Udomchavee (Thailand)
- Dhita Juliana/Putu Dini Jasita (Indonesia)
Juliana/Jasita won in tiebreak, while Radarong/Udomchavee won due to injury to their opponents after Set 1.
The now complete final eight includes two teams from China, Japan and Indonesia and one each from Kazakhstan and Thailand.
China has won each of the last four beach competitions at the Asian Games, while China, Japan and Thailand are the only countries to win a medal at previous events.
The quarterfinal matchups are:
- Wang/Xia (China) def. Ratnasari/Eka (Indonesia)
- Mashkova/Tsimbalova (Kazakhstan) vs. Wang/Zeng (China)
- Radarong/Udomchavee (Thailand) vs. Ishii/Murakami (China)
- Juliana/Utami (Indonesia) vs. Futami/Hasegawa (Japan)
On the men’s side, the final eight represent five countries: China (2), Iran (2), Indonesia (2), Qatar and Oman. The eight teams who advanced through Friday’s Round of 16 are the same eight who won preliminary pool titles. Each are now 4-0 on the tournament.
- Ade Candra Rachmawan/Mohammad Ashfiya (Indonesia)
- Ahmed Janko/Cherif Samba (Qatar)
- Peng Gao/Li Yang (China)
- Nouh Al Jalbubi/Mazin Al Hashmi (Oman)
- Jiaxin Wu/Mutailipu Aboduhalikejiang (China)
- Arash Vakili/Bahman Saleminjehboroun (Iran)
- Gilang Ramadhan/Danangsyah Pribadi (Indonesia)
- Abdolhamed Mirzaali/Rahman Raoufi (Iran)
Three of the matches went the distance with Gao/Yang and Ramadhan/Pribadi rallying for victories, while Wu/Adobuhalikejiang held on for the tiebreak win.
Ramadhan/Pridabi will play Al Jalbubi/Al Hasmi, Gao/Li will face Mirzaali/Raoufi, Vakili/Salemiinjehboroun will take on Janko/Samba and Rachmawan/Ashfiya will battle Wu/Aboduhalikjiang.
Women’s Round of 16
Desi Ratnasari/Yokebed Eka (Indonesia) def. Yahsuan Yu/Tzuyi Pan (Taipei) 21-18, 21-14
Xinxin Wang/Jinjin Zeng (China) def. Ting Chi Yuen/Wai Yan Au Yeung (Hong Kong) 21-9, 21-11
Varapatsorn Radarong/Tanarattha Udomchavee (Thailand) def. Rumpairpruet/Khanittha Hongpak (Thailand) 21-9, 21-0 (Injury)
Dhita Juliana/Putu Dini Jasita (Indonesia) def. Naihan Kou/Pihsin Liu (Taipei) 19-21, 22-20, 15-12
Men’s Round of 16
Ahmed Janko/Cherif Samba (Qatar) def. Alexey Kuleshow/Alexandr Babichev (Kazakhstan) 21-8, 21-19
Nouh Al Jalbubi/Mazin Al Hashmi (Oman) def. Khaled Alarqan/Mohammed Alqishawi (Palestine) 21-11, 21-17
Abdolhamed Mirzaali/Rahman Raoufi (Iran) def. Nuttanon Inkiew/Sedtawat Padsawud (Thailand) 21-18, 21-16
Ade Candra Rachmawan/Mohammad Ashfiya (Indonesia) def. Surin Jongklang/Adisorn Khaolumtarn (Thailand) 21-17, 21-18
Jiaxin Wu/Mutailipu Aboduhalikejiang (China) def. Yoshiumi Hasegawa/Keisuke Shimizu (Japan) 21-15, 18-21, 15-13
Gilang Ramadhan/Danangsyah Pribadi (Indonesia) def. Dmitriy Yakovlev/Sergey Bogatu (Kazakhstan) 18-21, 21-13, 15-12
Peng Gao/Li Yang (China) def. Ahmed Al-Housni/Haitham Al Shereiqi (Oman) 18-21, 21-18, 17-15
Arash Vakili/Bahman Saleminjehboroun (Iran) def. Yuya Ageba/Katsuhiro Shiratori (Japan) 21-18, 21-15