Courtesy: Big West Conference
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
AERYN OWENS, CSUN
Senior • OH • Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. • Alta Loma HS
• Aeryn Owens claimed her first career women’s volleyball Player of the Week honors after posting a pair of double-doubles for CSUN in two tough four-set losses.
• The 6-foot outside hitter averaged 5.13 kills, 3.13 digs, 0.38 blocks and 0.38 aces per set in road matches against UC Irvine and UC Davis.
• Owens hit a solid .309 with 41 kills and just 11 errors in 97 attempts.
• She tallied 19 kills and 13 digs to go along with two blocks and three aces against the Anteaters. She swung at a .375 (19-4-40) clip versus UCI.
• The senior posted her seventh 20-kill match this season with 22 against the Aggies. She added 12 digs for her ninth double-double of the season, chipping in a block while hitting .263.
• Owens received two Freshman Player of the Week nods in 2015.
Others nominated: Torrey Van Winden (Cal Poly); Felicia Marshall (Cal State Fullerton); Emma Kirst (Long Beach State); Emily Allen (UC Davis); Loryn Carter (UC Irvine); Yuliya Ushakova (UC Riverside); McKenna Granato (Hawai‘i)
Aeryn Owens Named Big West Player of the Week https://t.co/sRS17nDHAu
— CSUN Women’s Volleyball (@CSUNWVB) October 30, 2018
FRESHMAN PLAYER OF THE WEEK
ABBY MARJAMA, UC IRVINE
OH • Granite Bay, Calif. • Granite Bay HS
• For the fourth time in a six-week period, UC Irvine outside hitter Abby Marjama claimed Freshman Player of the Week accolades.
• She continued to be the catalyst for Anteater success, averaging 3.25 kills, 3.00 digs and 0.50 aces in a pair of four-set wins over CSUN and Long Beach State.
• Marjama led the charge against CSUN with a career-high tying 15 kills to go along with six digs, two aces and a block.
• She added 11 kills and a career-best 18 digs versus the Beach. She fired off another two aces and added another block as the Anteaters moved to 8-2 in Big West play.
• Marjama has had two or more aces in 10 matches this season.
👏⬇️Abby, ladies and gentlemen, AGAIN!⬇️👏https://t.co/gkWKT8ojEp
— UCI W Volleyball (@UCIwvb) October 29, 2018
Others nominated: Avalon DeNecochea (Cal Poly); Leonie Strehl (UC Davis); Christina Escamilla (UC Riverside)
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
MADILYN MERCER, CAL POLY
Sophomore • MB • Capistrano Beach, Calif. • San Juan Hills HS
• Madilyn Mercer earned her first career Defensive Player of the Week award with a mammoth performance at the net for Cal Poly in a first place showdown at Hawai‘i.
• Despite a five-set loss, Mercer was a force against the Rainbow Wahine attack as she tallied a career-high 11 blocks.
• The sophomore came up just two shy of tying the program record for most block assists in a match.
• Mercer added nine kills and hit an efficient .350 (9-2-20) against UH while adding one dig.
• She is now averaging a team-best 1.11 blocks per set this season.
Others nominated: Kristey Markle (CSUN); Brianna Karsseboom (UC Davis); Erin Alonso (UC Irvine); Nicole Rodriguez (UC Riverside); Norene Iosia (Hawai‘i)
Defensive #BWCAOTW to @CalPolyVolley after a career-high 11 blocks on the road.
📰 https://t.co/Mzqhw0Fcgt#RideHigh #PlayBig 🐎🏐 pic.twitter.com/j2qEkIamEW
— Big West Volleyball (@BigWestWVB) October 29, 2018