- Oct. 27, 2018
Cal Poly had its 18-match win streak snapped by Hawaii on Friday, but gained an advantage on the Rainbow Wahine as UCSB swept them on the island on Sunday.
UC Irvine and UC Davis managed four set wins, while UC Riverside survived Cal State Fullerton in five sets.
|BIG WEST GAMES||ALL GAMES|
|UC Santa Barbara||6||5||.545||14||9||.609|
|Long Beach State||5||7||.417||13||12||.520|
|Cal State Fullerton||0||10||.000||6||17||.261|
UC Santa Barbara def. Hawaii 3-0 (28-26, 25-22, 25-21)
- Box Score / UCSB Recap / Hawaii Recap
- The win marked the first for the Gauchos against Hawaii since 2013 and the team’s first sweep of the Rainbow Wahine in more than 25 years.
- The loss via sweep was the first in conference play for Hawaii since Oct. 10, 2014, and the first home Big West loss via sweep since 1993 (Oct. 22 vs. LBSU).
- Lindsey Ruddins and Gigi Ruddins posted 11 and 10 kills respectively to lead UCSB. Lindsey also added nine digs and two blocks, while Gigi put up three blocks. Nicole Omwanghe tallied a team-best seven blocks.
- McKenna Granato registered eight kills, 10 digs and two blocks, while hitting .057 to pace Hawaii. Natasha Burns added seven kills, four blocks and a .400 hitting effort.
- UCSB built a 9-4 edge in Set 3 and boosted the advantage to eight at 20-12 en route to the 25-21 win. Down 23-14, the Rainbow Wahine managed a 7-1 run to pull within three at 24-21. Hawaii scored five straight, including three UCSB miscues, to thwart Gaucho match-point tries after falling behind 24-16. Gigi Ruddins capped the win at 25-21.
UC Riverside def. Cal State Fullerton 3-2 (23-25, 26-24, 19-25, 25-17, 15-9)
- Box Score / UC Riverside Recap / Cal State Fullerton Recap
- With the five-set win, the Highlanders claim a season sweep of the Titans.
- UCR outhit Fullerton .185 to .141 in the match, including .300 to .083 in the final set. The Highlanders also bested the Titans 67-53 in kills and 13-12 in blocks.
- Yuliya Ushakova (16 kills, 6 blocks), Ashlyn Blotzer (14 kills, 7 blocks, .519), Christina Escamilla (11 kills, .250) and Marissa Holt (11 kills, .091) led the way for UC Riverside.
- Felicia Marshall (16 kills, 12 digs, .089) and Summer Kerins (12 kills, .300) paced Fullerton. Jayla Norman added nine kills and three blocks, while hitting .400. Haley Carmo put up six blocks.
- UCR jumped out to a 12-2 lead in Set 5 including three kills each by Blotzer and Escamilla. The Titans answered with seven of the next nine points, including four Highlander miscues. After falling behind 14-5, Fullerton scored four in a row to keep the match going, before Nailah Jones ended the match with a kill.
UC Davis def. Cal State Northridge 3-1 (21-25, 25-14, 25-18, 28-26)
- Box Score / UC Davis Recap / Cal State Northridge Recap
- The Aggies notched their fifth straight win.
- UC Davis outhit CSUN .220 to .172 and outdid the Matadors in kills (62-44) and aces (6-4).
- Emily Allen tallied 18 kills, 14 digs and two aces, while hitting .261 to lead the Aggies. Brianna Karsseboom followed with 10 kills and a career-high 20 digs. Josie Ough added a team-best six blocks.
- Five UC Davis players posted double-digit dig tallies, led by Karsseboom’s 20. Paloma Bowman managed a 20-assist, 10-dig double double.
- Aeryn Owens recorded 22 kills and 12 digs to pace the Matadors. Morgan Salone was next on the team with seven kills and a .368 hitting effort.
- UC Davis built an 18-10 lead in Set 4 with four Allen kills and three by Karsseboom. Cal State Northridge erased the deficit and tied it up at 23 behind five Aggie errors and kills by four different players. UC Davis won the match on its fourth match-point try at 27-26. Four CSUN miscues helped the Aggies in their final 5-3 run.
UC Irvine def. Long Beach State 3-1 (25-22, 16-25, 25-19, 25-13)
- Box Score / UC Irvine Recap / LBSU Recap
- UCI outhit Long Beach State .217 to .214 with help from a .500 effort in Set 4. The Anteaters also led 61-48 in kills and 4-3 in aces. Each team posted 10 blocks.
- Loryn Carter (16 kills, 4 blocks, .351), Makayla Wolfe (15 kills, 8 blocks, .370) and Abby Marjama (11 kills, 18 digs, .024) led the UC Irvine offense. The kill tallies marked career highs for Carter and Wolfe.
- Hailey Harward posted a team-best 13 kills and 16 digs for LBSU, while hitting .379. Kaushauna Williams added 11 putaways.
- UC Irvine ran out to an 18-8 lead in Set 4 as Carter posted three kills and two blocks and Wolfe turned in three blocks and two putaways. Long Beach State scored two of the next three, but UCI capped the match on a 5-3 run. Kills by Wolfe and Marjama finished off the win.