Brazil’s Gian Moraes Resumes Career After Life Threatening Car Crash

  0 Liam Smith | October 18th, 2018 | Brazilian League, Brazilian Volleyball, International Volleyball, News, Pro Indoor, South American Volleyball

Brazilian libero Gian Moraes has much to celebrate upon his debut with Caramuru Volleyball this week. Two months ago, after spending his Superliga season with Montes Claros, he signed a transfer deal to his new club. When travelling to his new home to be announced by the team, he was involved in a serious car crash that put his life and career at risk. A quick medical rescue prevented something worse from happening, but he still had to undergo two surgeries, one to reconstruct some bones in his face, and another to reconstruct his right finger, which took more than 10 hours total.

He spoke to about the accident and his recovery:

“Everything happened very fast, I had no time to react besides trying to prevent a full-front collision. I also remember the light coming in my direction. I noticed that the people in the car were fine, but when I brought my hand to my face, I realized that I was all bloody. Soon I was losing my strength. I remember the sound of sirens coming. At the time, despair hit. I did not know how much this would affect me. I only thought about volleyball. Would I be able to play again? Would my life be normal again? How would I live with pain? What about my mobility? It was just what came to my mind. In the first days of recovery, I lost facial expressions and could not due to the screws placed to hold my jaw. I lost my feeling of smell too. I lost seven pounds and had to undergo a serious training routine in the gym to recover my muscle mass.”

Moraes recovery was scheduled for 3 months. Still, his plight wasn’t over, as a MRI showed that he had an ACL injury. Luckily, there was no need for surgery, and doctors were able to go the conservative route in his treatment. Still, it took a psychological toll in the player:

“It was disappointing. In addition to all the surgeries I had undergone, there was the possibility of needing even more procedures done, putting my whole season at risk. However, I started working out at the gym, and everything went well, and my knee recovered fine without need of surgical intervention.”

All in all, everything worked out for Moraes. He now states he is a changed man after everything that happened:

“I was very happy to be able to get back in time to play in the Paranaense Championship finals. Playing and contributing to the win in the first match against Maringa meant a lot to me. It was a way of repaying all the support I have received from the entire team. I’ve always been a little vain about my personal appearance. Looking in the mirror and seeing that my face was different was difficult. However, I had only two alternatives: to conform or to work hard to get back as soon as possible. I do not blame the other driver and I have a calm heart about everything that happened. The trauma was very strong, I still can not drive, but I’m doing well and happy.”

View this post on Instagram

Caramuru 3×1 Maringá , parabéns a todos , passo importante . Seguimos porque dia 20/10 tem o segundo jogo da final do Paranaense. 💪🏽🙏🏼 #Caramuru #Volei #DeusnoComando #Foco #GM18 👏🏼🙏🏼💪🏽🏆♠️🏐 ( 📷 @ztramontin )

A post shared by Gian Moraes ® (@gianmoraes) on

Leave a Reply


Don't want to miss anything?

Subscribe to our newsletter and receive our latest updates!