Courtesy: Big West Conference
At the No. 1 pair, Cal State Northridge’s Katie Sato (Calabasas, Calif./Agora HS) and Aeryn Owens (Alta Loma, Calif./Alta Loma HS) earned Big West Pairs Team of the Week Honors after a perfect weekend on the sand.
• The tandem went 3-0 on the weekend to improve to 17-6 on the season
• The pair took back-to-back matches in straight-sets, winning six of seven sets played in three contests
• Sato and Owens secured a key point in CSUN’s 3-2 victory over CSU Bakersfield, helping the Matadors to an undefeated weekend heading into the Big West Tournament
• The pair has won three straight and eight of its last 10 matches played
• The pair is now 12-3 this season in dual match competition and 5-3 in tournament play
• This is the first award for the tandem and for CSUN in 2018
Cal State Northridge is 17-6 on the year and takes a three-match win streak into this weekend’s Big West Tournament in Honolulu. The fourth-seeded Matadors begin the competition with a 4 p.m. ET match against No. 5 seed Cal State Bakersfield.
The tournament, which is being hosted by the University of Hawaii on Queens Beach in Honolulu, is slated for April 27-29 with the team title being awarded on Saturday and the pairs champion being crowned on Sunday.
Other’s nominated: Taylor Nelson & Adlee Van Winden (CP), Aleksandra Djodjevic & Briannah Mariner (CSUB)