2017 FIVB WORLD TOUR SEASON OPENER
- Tuesday, Feb 7 – Sunday, Feb 12, 2017
- Fort Lauderdale, FL (Eastern Time Zone)
- Swatch Major Series site
- Finals live stream: RedBullTV
- Full event live stream
The main draw of the Fort Lauderdale Major began today, with a large number of pairs competing for the $600,000 prize. The tournament features eight different pools of players, with eight just being added to the main draw after winning their qualification matches on Tuesday.
For the women’s first part of pool play, Dutch pair Stubbe/Sinnema take down Brazilian powerhouse duo Larissa and Talita in a tough three set battle, while Ross/Walsh-Jennings flew through Dutch pair van Iersel/Flier in two. Olympic champion Walkenhorst and new partner Gorssner win both matches of the day, their second going three.
Sweat/Summer (USA) def. Pischke/May (CAN)
- Score: 2-1, (21-16, 15-21, 15-12)
Newly formed team of Sweat and Summer battle through three sets to take down Canadian pair Pischke/May. The first two sets went fairly easily for each squad, but the third was more of a challenge, putting the American squad on top at 15-12.
J. Stubbe/Sinnema (NED) def. Larissa/Talita (BRA)
- Score: 2-1, (21-18, 18-21, 15-12)
J. Stubbe and Sinnema hold the 111th rank on the world tour, today in a three set battle, they took down the 6th ranked Brazilian pair. Going up 1-0, the Netherlands team fought hard in the second but dropped it 21-18. The third was a tough battle, where the Dutch prevailed 15-12.
Walkenhorst/Grossner (GER) def. Pischke/May (CAN)
- Score: 2-1, (21-14, 15-21, 15-4)
Reining Olympic champion Walkenhorst and her new partner take down Canadian pair Pischke/May in three sets. The German pair went up early in the match, taking the first 21-14, but dropping the second by a score of 15-21. With the match all tied up, the Germans brought out all the stops, taking down the Canadians in a dominating 15-4 showing.
Ross/Walsh-Jennings (USA) def. Van Iersel/Flier (NED)
- Score: 2-0, (21-18, 21-17)
Ross and Walsh-Jennings of the United States, a team that has been around the block took down Dutch pair van Iersel/Flier in straight sets. The Dutch pair fought their way into the main draw out of the qualification rounds to be handed a tough first match. The American duo pushed through taking down the Dutch by scores of 21-18, 21-17.
Other Women’s Results
- Pool A
- Barbara/Fernanda (BRA) def. Lahri/Parkkinen (FIN) 2-0, (21-11, 21-15)
- Pool B
- Fendrrick/Hughes (USA) def. Bawden/Laird (AUS) 2-0, (21-15, 21-14)
- Pool C
- Laboureur/Sude (GER) def. Claes/Reeves (USA) 2-0, (21-12, 21-17)
- Josi/Lili (BRA) def. Menegatti/Perry (ITA) 2-0, (21-14, 21-11)
- Pool D
- Walkenhorst/Grossner (GER) def. Ittlinger/Mersmann (GER) Score: 2-0, (21-13, 21-12)
- Sweat/Summer (USA) def. Ittlinger/Mersmann (GER) 2-0, (21-13, 21-12)
- Pool E
- Agatha/Duda (BRA) def. Hochevar/Day (USA) 2-0, (21-16, 21-10)
- Bieneck/Schneider (GER) def. Van Gestel/Meppelink (NED) 2-1, (19-21, 21-19, 15-13)
- Pool F
- Heidrich/Vergé-Dépré (SUI) def. Lane/Pollock (USA) 2-0, (26-24, 21-9)
- Wilkerson/Bansley (CAN) def. Kolocova/Kvapilova (CZE) 2-1, (20-22, 21-15, 15-12)
- Pool G
- Birlova/Makroguzova (RUS) def. Elize Maia/Taiana Lima (BRA) 2-1, (17-21, 21-17, 20-18)
- Borger/Kozuch (GER) def. Gallay/Klug (ARG) 2-0, (21-13, 22-20)
- Pool H
- Schtzenhfer/Schwaiger (AUT) def. Betschart/Hüberli (SUI) 2-0, (22-20, 28-26)
- Hermannova/Slukova (CZE) def. Ukolova/Barsuk (RUS) 2-0, (21-16, 21-12)