FIVB/P1440 Las Vegas Open
- Las Vegas Festival Grounds; Las Vegas, Nevada
- Oct. 15-21, 2018
- Watch Live: Men; Women
- Watch Live: Finals will air live at 4 p.m. ET Sunday on ESPN2
Friday’s action whittled the field through the second round of pool play as well as two elimination rounds. The first two women’s quarterfinalists earned their spots, while the remaining six matches of Round 2 are slated to begin at noon ET Saturday.
Americans Betsi Flint/Emily Day dropped the Pool D title match against third seeded Canadians Sarah Pavan/Melissa Humana-Paredes to start the day, but rebounded with two tiebreak wins over their countrywomen to move on to the quarterfinals. The duo first ousted newly formed pair Kerri Walsh Jennings/Brooke Sweat (19-21, 21-19, 15-12) then downed top seeded Summer Ross/Sara Hughes (22-20, 14-21, 15-11). Next up for the pair, which started the tournament in the qualifiers, is a 3:20 p.m. ET meeting with Ana Patricia/Rebecca of Brazil.
Qualifiers Ana Patricia/Rebecca earned their spot in the quarters with a Round 2 win over Japan’s Megumi Murakami/Miki Ishii (21-11, 21-12). The pair received a bye to Round 2 by earning the Pool H crown with a 21-19, 25-23 win over countrywomen Maria Clara/Elize Maia.
The remainder of the women’s quarterfinal spots will be awarded beginning at noon ET Saturday. Still to be played are:
- #3 Pavan/Humana-Paredes (Canada) vs. #12 Kinga Kolosinska/Katarzyna Kociolek (Poland)
- #10 Marta Menegatti/Viktoria Orsi Toth (Italy) vs. #24 Maria Clara/Elize Maia (Brazil)
- #2 Heather Bansley/Brandie Wilkerson (Canada) vs. #14 Liliana/Elsa (Spain)
- #5 Emily Stockman/Kelley Larsen (USA) vs. #16 Taru Lahti/Anniina Parkkinen (Finland)
- #6 Nina Betschart/Tanja Huberli (Switzerland) vs. #23 Amaranta Navarro/Angela Lobato (Spain)
- #4 Maria Antonelli/Carol Solberg Salgado (Brazil) vs. #9 Sarah Sponcil/Kelly Claes (USA)
In addition to No. 1 Ross/Hughes falling to Flint/Day, only No. 7 Nadezda Makroguzova/Svetlana Kholomina of Russia failed to reach the second round out of the Top 10. The Russians fell to Lahti/Parkkinen 24-22, 24-22 in Round 1 action.