2018 Central American & Caribbean Games
- July 19 – August 3, 2o18
- Barranquilla, Columbia
As the Dominican Republic claimed its fifth straight CACG crown, a streak which began in 2002, outside hitter Prisilla Rivera Brens was tabbed as the tournament’s Most Valuable Player.
Rivera managed six kills and two blocks in the gold medal match against Columbia. In the semifinal win over Puerto Rico, the outside hitter notched 10 kills and a block.
In three group stage matches, Rivera posted a team-best 14 kills against Venezuela, four kills and four blocks vs. Cuba and eight putaways vs. Mexico.
Rivera was the second leading scorer for the DR, posting 40 kills and eight blocks. She finished behind Gaila Gonzalez Lopez 65 points (56 kills, 9 blocks) and just ahead of Brayelin Martinez’s 46 points (40 kills, 6 blocks).
Three other Dominican Republic players were among the dream team honorees. Gonzalez Lopez was tabbed as best opposite, while Brenda Castillo was named Best Libero and Best Digger. Lisvel Mejia was the second best middle blocker.
Mexico’s Samantha Bricio Ramos led all scorers with 83 points (65 kills, 6 blocks, 12 aces), while Trinidad & Tobago’s Sinead Jack put up a tournament-best 25 blocks. Bricio’s 12 aces were tops in the tournament.
The full list of honorees are:
- Best Setter: Maria Alejandra Marin (Columbia)
- Best Outside Hitter: Channon Thompson (Trinidad & Tobago)
- Outside Hitter #2: Amanda Coneo (Columbia)
- Best Middle Blocker: Sinead Jack (Trinidad & Tobago)
- Middle Blocker #2: Lisvel Mejia (Dominican Republic)
- Best Opposite: Gaila Gonzalez (D0minican Republic)
- Best Libero: Brenda Castillo (Dominican Republic)
- Best Digger: Brenda Castillo (Dominican Republic)
- Best Server: Krystle Esdelle (Trinidad & Tobago)
- Best Scorer: Andrea Rangel (Mexico)