2017 EUROPEAN MEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP
- Krakow, Poland – final site
- August 24-Sept. 3, 2017
- Streaming on Facebook Live / Streaming on YouTube
Russia vs Germany Gold Medal Match
- 20:30 local time GMT +2
- 20:30 in Berlin time
- 21:30 in Moscow time
- 2:30 PM ET, Saturday; watch live
On Sunday, for the first time ever, Germany will play for European Championship gold when they face off against the powerful Russian team. Russia has won 13 European titles (including unified and USSR teams) – 7 more than any other team in history.
The Russians haven’t dropped a set so far at this year’s tournament en route to this gold medal game and will be heavily favored, receiving roughly 1:6 odds on one sportsbook (for every $6 wagered for Russia to win, just $1 will be paid out of they do).
More Facts about today’s final, Courtesy of the CEV:
– Germany (including East and West Germany) and Russia (including Soviet Union) will meet for the 15th time at the European Championship.
– Germany recorded three wins against Russia in this tournament, in their very first meeting (3-2 in 1963 as East Germany) and in their last two (3-2 in 1997 and 3-0 in 2013).
– Russia won the 11 matches in-between, including nine wins in straight sets.
– Russia have won all of their European Championship meetings beyond the group stage: 3-0 in 1971 final round, 3-0 in 1983 final round, 3-1 for third place in 1993 and 3-0 for 5th-8th place in 1995.
– Their most recent meeting came in the qualification tournament for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. Russia won 3-1.
– Germany have reached their first final at the European Championship.
– This will be their first podium at the European Championship, as their previous best result was a fourth place in 1967, 1971 (as East Germany), 1991 and 1993 (as Germany).
– Germany can become the 10th country to win the European Championship.
– At the last European Championship, in 2015, Slovenia reached the final for the first time, but finished as runners-up to France. The last team to win the European Championship final on their first try was Spain in 2007.
– Two years ago, Germany played the final at the inaugural European Games, beating Bulgaria 3-1 for the title.
– Germany beat Serbia 3-2 in the semifinals yesterday, the first time they overturned a two-set deficit at the European Championship since 1993 (versus Poland).
– Germany have won seven of their last eight matches at European Championship.
– Russia (including as Soviet Union) have won the European Championship a record 13 times, seven more than the next prolific country (Italy on 6).
– Their 22 top-three finishes (including 2017) are also more than any other team.
– Russia have won only one of the last 12 European titles as they emerged victorious in 2013 by beating Italy in the final (3-1).
– The Russians have lost three of their last four finals at the European Championship. They lost twice to Italy (3-1 in 1999, 3-2 in 2005) and once to Spain (3-2 in 2007).
– They can become the second country to lose four finals in total at the European Championship, after Italy (4).
– Russia have won 14 of their last 15 European Championship matches with the exception of the 3-0 defeat against Italy in the quarterfinals in 2015.
– Russia have yet to lose a set at the 2017 European Championship. Twice before they finished an edition of this tournament without dropping a set: in 1950 and 1951 (as Soviet Union).
Click here for more details about #EuroVolleyM…