On Tuesday April 11, 2017 Renan Dal Zotto, the new coach of the Brazilian men’s volleyball team, called up 12 players for training camp at the Volleyball Development Center (CDV) in Saquarema, Rio de Janerio. None of the 12 were on Brazil’s Olympic Team last year, implying that this is likely a search for supplementary parts to the team’s typical nucleus of stars.
The training camp begins on April 23 and the first big test the team will have is the FIVB Volleyball World League that starts on June 2nd.
The reigning gold medal team from the Rio 2016 Olympic Games will begin the 2017 World League in Pool A1 in Pesaro, Italy. Brazil will be playing host team Italy as well as Poland and Iran. Italy is the team that Brazil beat for the gold medal at last year’s Olympic Games.
During week 2 of the games Brazil is scheduled to play Canada, Poland, and host team Bulgaria in Varna, Bulgaria.
Week 3 Brazil will then travel back to South America to Cordoba, Argentina where they will take on Argentina, Bulgaria, and Serbia.
The 12 players that Dal Zotto brought up are:
- Murilo Radke (Montes Claros Voley)
- Thiago Veloso (Exprivia Molfetta, Italy)
- Flávio Gualberto (Minas Tênis Clube)
- Wennder Lopes (São Bernardo Voley)
- Thiago Barth (SESC-RJ)
- João Rafael (Exprivia Molfetta, Italy)
- Alisson Melo (Lebes Gedore Canoas)
- Rafael Araújo (MKS Bedzin, Poland)
- Renan Buiatti (JF Vôlei),
- Luan Weber (Montes Claros Vôlei)
- Thales Hoss (Lebes Gedore Canoas)
- Felipe Lourenço (Copel Telecom Maringá)
The finalized team will be announced at the end of the Brazilian Super League.