NCAA Beach Championships
- Gulf Shores, Alabama
- May 4-6, 2018
- Tournament Central
Florida State is on the fast track to the championship, topping No. 3 seed Hawaii 3-2 and moving on to the championship match. In a duel that featured four three-set matches, it came down to Court 5 where Francesca Goncalves/Madison Fitzpatrick squeaked past Hannah Zalopany/Paige Dreeuws 24-22, 21-23, 15-12 to end the Sandbows’ 32 match duel win streak. Hawaii’s Court 4 duo Amy Ozee/Ari Homayun got the scoring started with a straight set win. From there, the Seminoles took courts 1 and 3. Hawaii answered with a win on Court 4 moments later. All eyes turned to court 5, where Fitzpatrick placed the ball in the back right corner to sew up the victory.
The ?is one step closer for @FSU_BeachVB …#NCAABeachVB pic.twitter.com/79mdC5DxD5
— NCAA Volleyball (@NCAAVolleyball) May 5, 2018
NOLES WIN! WE'RE GOING TO THE FINALS!
FSU takes down Hawaii 3-2 in the semifinal! pic.twitter.com/l4FlflqPVv
— FSU Beach Volleyball (@FSU_BeachVB) May 5, 2018
The fifth time proved to be the charm for USC, as the Women of Troy stayed alive in the NCAA Championships with a 3-2 win over No. 2 Pepperdine in an elimination match to start Saturday’s action. Coming into the match, the Waves were a perfect 4-0 against USC in 2018 after falling to the Women of Troy in the 2017 National Championship match. In the end, it came down to Court 4 where Alexandra Poletto/Haley Hallgren edged past Skylar Caputo/Alexis Filippone in three sets: 21-18, 15-21, 15-12.
Caputo/Filippone had won all four matches on Court 4 in the previous meetings, although just one had been against Poletto/Hallgren as a duo.
The loss ended the storied career of Pepperdine coach Nina Matthies, who announced she would retire at season’s end. The Waves end the season at 25-5.
It came down to the final set in the final match, but @USCBeach pulled out a big win over Pepperdine to advance in the NCAA Tourney ?. pic.twitter.com/xmhUmahnwc
— Pac-12 Network (@Pac12Network) May 5, 2018
No. 1 seed UCLA made quick work of No. 7 seed LSU in the day’s second elimination match. The Bruins won the opening set on all five courts and secured the 3-0 win with victories on courts 1, 2 and 3. Lily Justine/Sarah Sponcil got the first point of the match on Court 2, dominating 21-10, 21-8. Savvy Simo/Zana Muno followed on Court 3 and Nicole McNamara/Megan McNamara sealed the victory on Court 1 to keep the Bruins alive in the tournament and send LSU packing.
No. 1 UCLA defeats No. 7 LSU 3-0! The Bruins will face No. 5 USC in another elemination match at 4 PM on ESPN2 & ESPN3! #GoBruins #GoBeyondGreat #NCAABeachVB pic.twitter.com/gIkFX7w8V1
— UCLA Beach VB (@uclabeachvb) May 5, 2018
The Women of Troy and the Bruins faced off to the end the day’s action with the season on the line. UCLA boasted a 4-1 lead in the season series, including each of the last three, two at the Pac-12 Championships last week. The Bruins came through with a 3-1 win in a back-and-forth battle that saw UCLA take Set 1 on all five courts and USC answer with four wins in Set 2. The lone exception was a Court 3 sweep by Zana Muno/Savvy Simo. Izzy Carey/Megan Muret were the first to finish in tiebreak, giving UCLA a Court 5 win. Terese Cannon/Sammy Slater answered for USC on Court 2 to make it 2-1. It was a toss up at to whether Court 1 or Court 4 would decide it. The McNamara sisters had several set-point tries on Court 1, but USC answered each bringing it to 17-all. On Court 4, Mac May/Elise Zappia came through in the meantime with a 15-9 win to send UCLA on to Sunday.
The UCLA Bruins take down the defending National Champs and will continue their quest for the ?!#NCAABeachVB pic.twitter.com/2nJ7Vnzj7V
— NCAA Volleyball (@NCAAVolleyball) May 5, 2018
USC def. Pepperdine 3-2
- Tina Graudina/Alex Bustamante (USC) def. Deahna Kraft/Corinne Quiggle (Pepperdine) 21-11, 21-18
- Maddy Roh/Brook Bauer (Pepperdine) def. Terese Cannon/Sammy Slater (USC) 23-21, 21-16
- Gigi Hernandez/Heidi Dyer (Pepperdine) def. Joy Dennis/Cammie Dorn (USC) 21-18, 21-14
- Alexandra Poletto/Haley Hallgren (USC) def. Skylar Caputo/Alexis Filippone (Pepperdine) 21-18, 15-21, 15-12
- Jenna Belton/Maia Kaiser (USC) def. Maddie Dilfer/Nikki Lyons (Pepperdine) 21-18, 21-16
Pepperdine is eliminated
UCLA def. LSU 3-0
- Nicole McNamara/Megan McNamara (UCLA) vs. Claire Coppola/Kristen Nuss (LSU) 21-10, 21-17
- Lily Justine/Sarah Sponcil (UCLA) vs. Haleigh Nelson/Mandi Orellana (LSU) 21-10, 21-8
- Savvy Simo/Zana Muno (UCLA) vs. Olivia Powers/Hunter Domanski (LSU) 21-13, 21-15
- Elise Zappia/Mac May (UCLA) vs. Emmy Allen/Megan Davenport (LSU) 23-21, 14-21, DNF
- Izzy Carey/Megan Muret (UCLA) vs. Riley Young/Maddie Ligon (LSU) 21-16, 20-20 DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1*
LSU is eliminated
Florida State def. Hawaii 3-2
- Vanessa Freire/Tory Paranagua (FSU) def. Emily Maglio/Ka’iwi Schucht (UH) 21-12, 14-21, 15-12
- Morgan Martin/Leah Monkhouse (UH) vs. Katie Horton/Hailey Luke (FSU) 21-14, 16-21, 15-11
- Carly Kan/Laurel Weaver (UH) vs. Sara Putt/Macy Jerger (FSU) 17-21, 21-19, 15-11
- Amy Ozee/Ari Homayun (UH) vs. Brooke Kuhlman/Molly McBain (FSU) 22-20, 21-16
- Francesca Goncalves/Madison Fitzpatrick (FSU) def. Hannah Zalopany/Paige Dreeuws (UH) 24-22, 21-23, 15-12
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 2, 3, 5*
Florida State moves on to the championship match
UCLA def. USC 3-1
- Abril Bustamante/Tina Graudina (USC) vs. Megan McNamara/Nicole McNamara (UCLA); 13-21, 21-18, 17-17 DNF
- Terese Cannon/Sammy Slater (USC) def. Lily Justine/Sarah Sponcil (UCLA); 19-21, 21-16, 15-10
- Zana Muno/Savvy Simo (UCLA) def. Joy Dennis/Cammie Dorn (USC); 21-17, 21-18
- Mac May/Elise Zappia (UCLA) def. Haley Hallgren/Alexandra Poletto (USC); 21-18, 15-21, 15-9
- Izzy Carey/Megan Muret (UCLA) def. Jenna Belton/Maja Kaiser (USC); 21-18, 15-21, 15-10
Order of finish: 3, 5, 2, 4*
USC is eliminated
Leave a Reply