Editor’s Note: as scheduling changes continue to fly with the approach of Hurricane Florence toward the Carolina coast, on Wednesday, we’ll summarize in one running post.
As of Wednesday morning, Hurricane Florence remains a category 4 hurricane, and its path is shifting southward. While this should spare most of Virginia from the worst of the storm, schools there continue to cancel classes and sporting events out of an abundance of caution.
The biggest news so far on Wednesday is that Kansas, who was supposed to travel to Greensboro for the “Tussle in the Triad” tournament, will instead welcome in UNC Greensboro for a two-match series on Friday and Saturday in Lawrence. High Point, who was also supposed to be at that tournament, is heading to Pitt for a four-team royale with Pitt, Liberty, and College of Charleston.
- Kansas and UNC Greensboro will play Friday at 5PM and Saturday at 6PM.
- Loyola Maryland and Morgan State have joined the Dig the District Invitational, co-hosted by Georgetown and George Washington Universities in D.C, which should be far enough away from the storm to be spared any serious damage. Hampton withdrew from the tournament, having cancelled all school activities for the weekend. Hampton is located directly where Chesapeake Bay meets the Atlantic Ocean. The other is under a tropical storm watch. Loyola has also picked up a match against La Salle on Thursday evening, though they haven’t specifically said if that will still happen after the newly-formed tournament was found in nearby D.C.
- Toledo, Bucknell, and Youngstown State will play on Saturday in Akron, Ohio at the Zips Invitational hosted by Akron, after Toledo lost matches from the VCU tournament.
- Duke and UNC had already postponed their Sunday matchup, but on Wednesday morning, Duke also announced that it was postponing its Wednesday match against Elon as a result of the storm.
- VCU, which has announced a full-university closure for Thursday through Saturday, has cancelled their tournament this weekend. They were due to host Virginia, Toledo, and South Carolina. VCU is located in Richmond, about 250 miles due-north of where the heart of the storm is expected to make landfall in Wilmington, North Carolina. The Virginia coast is still under a tropical storm watch.
Monday and Tuesday Updates
Other NCAA Volleyball Cancelled (with links for more):
- UNCW Seahawk Invitational, Wilmington, North Carolina tournament cancelled – South Carolina State, Western Carolina, Charleston Southern, Providence, UNCW
- North Dakota State cancelled its trip to play UNC and Duke, and is looking for other local matches.
- Coastal Carolina cancelled the Coastal Carolina classic in Conway, South Carolina – Coastal Carolina, TCU, College of Charleston, #9 Pitt
- Campbell Invitational, Buies Creek, North Carolina – Campbell, Loyola (MD), North Carolina Central, Mercer
- William & Mary Second Colonial Invitational, Williamsburg Virginia – Lehigh, Morgan State, East Carolina, William & Mary
- UNC vs. Duke – postponed
- Winthrop vs. Citadel – canceled
- Tussel in the Triad – Elon, Kansas, High Point, UNCG – canceled
New Matches Created:
- TCU vs. North Dakota State – Friday, 7PM
- LaSalle vs. Loyola (MD) – Thursday
- High Point, Liberty, College of Charlestonand #9 Pitt will play a new tournament hosted by Pitt on Saturday, September 15th.
- UNCG vs. High Point will move to November 3rd