Note: To spread excitement for one of the top professional men’s leagues in the world, VolleyMob will profile each of the 12 teams competing in French Ligue A during the 2017-2018 season.
- Stade Poitevin Volley Beach (Poitiers) Team Site
- 2017-2018 Poitiers Roster
- French Ligue A Site
- 2017-2018 Schedule
- VolleyMob’s 5 Reasons to Follow French Ligue A
After finishing with 28 points and tied for seventh in the regular season table, the Stade Poitevin Volley Beach side was just a swing or two away from upsetting eventual Ligue A champions Chaumont 52 in the quarterfinals. Poitiers enters the season with significant turnover, especially at the pins. It won’t be a huge side, but will instead rely on a fast transition game and tenacious defense.
Players to Watch
Receiver/attacker Jonatas Weslei Santos Cardoso, who played for Montes Claros last season and has also played for Sada Cruzeiro, will be playing away from his native Brazil for the first time. Cardoso was brought in to replace Nimir Abdel-Aziz, one of the top scorers of the league last season. Poitiers also brings in Florian Gosselin to replace setter Valentin Bezault, who will miss most of the season due to injury. Gosselin has played for Sète and Nantes Rézé Metropole, as well as several Ligue B sides.
- Menelaos Kokkinakis from Olympiacos Piraeus in Greece
- Mohammed Al Hachdadi from Ansan Rush&Cash Vespid in South Korea
- Thomas Koelewijn from Montpellier UC in French Ligue A
- Jonatas Weslei Santos Cardoso from Montes Claros Vôlei in Brazil
- Jan Zimmermann from United Volleys Rhein-Main in Germany
- Baptiste Geiler from Callipo Sport in Italy
- Božidar Ćuk to Arhavi BLD Spor in Turkey
- Suc Corentin to AMSL Fréjus Volley-Ball in France
- Philip Schneider to Narbonne Volley in French Ligue A
- Andri Aganits to Montpellier UC in French Ligue A
- Robbert Andringa to AZS Olsztyn in Poland
- Eemi Tervaportti to KS Espadon Szczecin in Poland
- Nimir Abdel-Aziz to Power Volley Milano in Italy
3 Must-See Matches
- Poitiers v. GFC Ajaccio (Oct. 14, 2017) The season opener against a tough opponent could set the tone for the entire season.
- Poitiers v. Chaumont 52 (Dec. 2, 2017) Rematch of last season’s hard-fought quarterfinal.
- Poitiers v. Nice (Dec. 12, 2017) Both sides finished tied for seventh last season.
* Indicates new roster addition
- Baptiste Geiler, receiver/attacker*
- Jonatos Weslei Santos Cardoso, receiver/attacker*
- Mohammed El Hachadi, receiver/attacker*
- Menelaos Kokkinakis, receiver/attacker*
- Vaianuu Mare, receiver/attacker*
- Frederic Barais, receiver/attacker
- Gael Tranchot, middle blocker
- Thomas Koelewijn, middle blocker*
- Novica Bjelica, middle blocker
- Florian Gosselin, setter
- Jan Zimmerman, setter*
- Yaniss China, libero
Leave a Reply