2017-2018 BRAZILIAN MEN’S SUPERLIGA
- 10/14 – 03/17 – Regular Season
- Official League Site
- Power Rankings
- Round 1; Round 2; Round 3; Round 4; Round 5; Round 6; Round 7;
Vôlei Renata/Campinas pulled off one of the biggest upsets of the season so far and defeated title favorites EMS Funvic/Taubaté 3-2 (17/25 25/19 18/25 27/25 14/16). It was able to pull through in the tie break after being losing by 14-11. Campinas was led by Diogo Silva’s 25 points on 17 for 30 (57%) hitting and 5 aces. Wallace Souza had 27 points in the losing effort. Taubaté out-blocked Campinas 16 to 6 in the match, but also gifted them an astounding 40 points from errors. Even worse, it lost Ricardo Lucarelli to a potential season ending injury in the third set.
Below you’ll find results from all of the round’s other games:
- Sesc/RJ beat Minas Tênis Clube 3-1 (25/18 15/25 18/25 23/25) behind Maurício Borges’ 23 points on 20 for 35 (57%) hitting. Minas was led by Petrus Montes’ 14 points. Minas gifted Sesc 37 points from errors.
- Sada/Cruzeiro beat Montes Claros Vôlei 3-1 (32/30 21/25 15/25 17/25) behind Isac Santos‘ 19 points on 10 for 14 (71%) hitting and an amazing 9 blocks. Montes Claros was led by Lisandro Zanotti’s 18 points. Montes Claros gifted Cruzeiro an absurd 41 points from errors, while being out-blocked 16 to 11 for the game.
- Lebes/Canoas came back from behind 2-0 to beat Ponta Grossa/Caramuru 3-2 (25/18 25/18 22/25 17/25 14/16) behind Aboubacar Neto’s 30 points on 29 for 48 (60%) hitting, including 10 points in the pivotal 3rd set and 10 points on the 4th. Jailton Junior had 12 points in the losing effort. Ponta Grossa out-blocked Canoas 17 to 8, but only hit 39% to Ponta Grossa‘s 55% hitting percentage.
- JF Vôlei got its first win of the season by beating Copel Telecom/Maringá 3-2 (25/21 20/25 21/25 33/31 21/23) behind Leonardo Nascimento’s 38 point explosion on 35 for 60 (58%) hitting and 3 blocks. He had 8 points in the tie break. Maringá was led by Alisson Bastos‘ 21 points. Maringá is still winless in the competition after its first 8 games.
- Sesi/SP beat Corinthians/Guarulhos 3-2 (25/23 17/25 25/22 20/25 20/22) behind Alan Souza‘s 27 points on 23 for 37 (62%) hitting including 10 points in the pivotal 4th set and 9 points in the tie break. Fabio Rodrigues had 20 points in the losing effort.
Team of The Week: Vôlei Renata/Campinas
Campinas has had an up-and-down season so far, with a 4-4 record. Needless to say, when it traveled to Taubaté to go against one of Superliga’s title favorites and super-teams, nobody expected it’d put much of a fight. And fight they did, taking Taubaté to the ropes. Now, Campinas can breathe a little easier, as it put itself in contention for Superliga’s 5th playoff seed, which means it would not have to go against Cruzeiro in the first round of the playoffs, which makes all the difference in its hopes for a deep run.
Player of The Week: Leonardo Nascimento
This round was full of players with amazing performances. Players rose to the spotlight in clutch times, when their teams needed them the most. Isac Santos had a massive 9 block night, Aboubacar Neto had 10 points each on his team’s pivotal 3rd and 4th set, as did Alan Souza, who had 10 points in the 4th set and 9 points at the tie break in his team’s win. But no one shone brighter than JF’s Leonardo Nascimento, who had a 38 point explosion on 35/60 (58%) hitting and three blocks. His clutch tie break performance, with 5 points, guaranteed JF’s first win of the season. He currently leads Superliga at a 4.76 points per set average.
|4||EMS TAUBATE FUNVIC*||20|
|6||MINAS TENIS CLUBE||13|
|10||MONTES CLAROS VOLEI||5|
*Teams that games played ahead of schedule
Leave a Reply