2017-2018 BRAZILIAN WOMEN’S SUPERLIGA
- 10/15 – 03/02 – Regular Season
- Official League Site
- Power Rankings
- Round 1; Round 2; Round 3; Round 4; Round 5; Round 6; Round 7; Round 8; Round 9
It took 10 years and exactly 23 games for Dentil Praia Clube/Uberlândia to finally beat Bernadinho’s Sesc/RJ squad for the first time in its history. Often being labeled as chokers, after losing to Bernadinho many times in the playoffs, things finally clicked for the Yellow and Black squad, as it downed Sesc/RJ 3-0 (16/25 23/25 16/25) behind Nicole Fawcett‘s 15 points. Monique Pavão also had 15 points, but in a losing effort. Sesc gifted Uberlândia with 22 points from errors, while also being out-blocked 11 to 5 in the game. With the win, Uberlândia kept itself in first place, with Sesc trailing close by in second place.
Team USA Watch
Nicole Fawcett continues to grow into her best shape for Uberlândia, once again leading her team in scoring. She is slowly becoming the squad’s safest best on clutch moments. Her hitting percentage, though, leaves a little bit to be desired, but she is still improving everyday, so there is much to hope for.
Meanwhile, Destinee Hooker had ser second start of the season as Camponesas/Minas completely annihilated Hinode/Barueri. She scored 14 points on 11/27 (41%) hitting and three aces. Like Fawcett, Hooker is still getting in her best shape, so her poor hitting efficiency reflects that.
- Vôlei Nestlé/Osasco beat Sesi/SP 3-0 (15/25 17/25 17/25) behind Tandara Caixeta‘s 15 points. Raquel Loff had 8 points in the losing effort. Sesi gifted Osasco with 24 points from errors, while only hitting 31%. On a positive note for the team, middle blocker Dani Suco played her first game after suffering a calf injury.
- Fluminense beat Esporte Clube Pinheiros 3-2 (22/25 25/21 24/26 25/15 8/15) behind Renata Colombo’s 21 points on 19/32 (59%) hitting. Bruna Honório had 20 points in the losing effort. Pinheiros committed only 10 errors in the 5-set game to Fluminense‘s 20, but the team was out-blocked 15 to 6 in the match.
- Camponesa/Minas beat Hinode/Barueiri 3-0 (25/16 25/20 25/14) behind Priscila Moreira‘s (Pri Daroit) 17 points on 15/22 (68%) hitting. Suelle Oliveira had 8 points in the losing effort. Barueri only hit 24% as a team for the game against Mina’s 48%.
- São Cristovão Saúde/São Caetano beat Brb/Brasília 3-1 (16/25 23/25 16/25) behind Fernanda Tomé’s 17 points. Priscila Souza had 12 points in the losing effort. It was an ugly game, as both teams combined for 59 errors (São Caetano with 30 and Brasília with 29).
- Vôlei Bauru beat Renata Country/Valinhos 3-1 (25/21 23/25 25/14 26/24) behind Yoana Palácio’s 16 points. Sabrina Floriano had 15 points in the losing effort. Valinhos gifted Bauru with 25 points from errors, while only hitting 33% from the field.
Team of The Week: Uberlândia
Minas‘ complete destruction of Barueri to take over the 4th spot in the standings was dominating and special. However, due to its historical significance, we can’t ignore Uberlândia getting rid of one of volleyball’s ugliest losing streaks. 10 years is no laughing matter. In addition, the win in commanding fashion against its most powerful rival shows that Uberlândia is head and shoulders above the rest of the competition this season, and may as well start believing in its much dreamed first Superliga title of its existence.
View this post on Instagram
Pronto, único invicto! 😁✌🏽 . Nesta sexta-feira (1/12), pela primeira vez na história, o Praia venceu uma partida oficial contra a equipe do Rio! 🙌🏽 🌟 Pela décima rodada da Superliga Feminina de Vôlei 2017/2018, o Dentil/ Praia Clube venceu o Sesc-Rio por 3 sets a 0, parciais de 25×16, 25×23 e 25×16 😎💃🏽🕺🏼 Início de temporada histórico!! 😍 Com a vitória, o time comandado pelo técnico Paulo Coco segue no topo da tabela com 30 pontos, permanecendo como único invicto na temporada! 💪🏽 😊 Muito obrigado aos torcedores que vibraram junto conosco! E parabéns meninas, comissão técnica e departamento de Esportes! Essa vitória é de todos nós! 🎉👏🏽💛🖤 #VaiPraCimaDentil #DeuPraia #praiaclube #volei #superliga #vitória #invicto #dentil
Player of the week: Pri Daroit
29-year-old Pri Daroit was one of Brazil’s biggest volleyball promises in her teenage years. Her career has been a roller-coaster ride, though, and she was never able to be a mainstay in Brazil’s national team. This year, she has found her best volleyball in Minas, delivering clutch performances that have won her player of the week honors more than once in the past. This round, the opposite hitter put up offensive numbers that resembles those of an elite offensive middle blocker: 17 points on 15/22 (68%) hitting in three quick sets. If she continues to play at this level, it is safe to say she will never have to warm another bench again.
|7||ESPORTE CLUBE PINHEIROS||15|
|8||SAO CRISTOVAO SAUDE/SAO CAETANO||12|