2017-2018 BRAZILIAN WOMEN’S SUPERLIGA
- 10/15 – 03/02 – Regular Season
- Official League Site
- Power Rankings
- Round 1; Round 2; Round 3; Round 4; Round 5; Round 6; Round 7; Round 8
Bernadinho’s Sesc/RJ squad continued its unbeaten SL run by handing Camponesa/Minas a 3-1 (25/15 23/25 19/25 22/25) loss. Yonkaira Isabel started her first game for Sesc and led the team with 18 points. Priscila Moreira (Pri Daroit) had 15 points in the losing effort. Sesc won the game despite gifting Minas 32 points from errors. It now sits behind only Uberlândia in the standings, having won all of its 9 games, but with a lower set average, as it lost 4 sets in the competition to Uberlândia‘s 1.
Below, you’ll find information from all of the round’s games:
Team USA Watch
Destinee Hooker had her first start of the season for Minas and scored 13 points on an 11/30 (37%) hitting performance and two aces. It is clear she is not yet in her best physical shape. Meanwhile, Nicolle Fawcett is slowly coming into her best physical condition, as she scored 22 points, 5 blocks included, in Uberlândia‘s victory against Osasco.
- Fluminense beat São Cristovão Saúde/São Caetano 3-1 (25/21 25/18 22/25 25/22) behind Leticia Hage’s 17 points in a 11/12 (92%) effort that also included 6 points. Fernanda Tomé had 24 points in the losing effort. Fluminense out-blocked São Caetano 16 to 10 in the game, while also being gifted 24 points from errors.
- Esporte Clube Pinheiros beat Sesi/SP 3-1 (25/18 21/25 25/27 21/25) behind Bruna Honório‘s 24 points. Nikolle Correa had 12 points in the losing effort. Pinheiros out-blocked Sesi 20 to 7 in the game. Pinheiros won despite gifting Sesi 33 points from errors.
- Dentil Praia Clube/Uberlândia beat Vôlei Nestlé/Osasco 3-1 (25/17 28/26 20/25 25/16) behind Nicole Fawcett‘s 22 points, 5 blocks included. Tandara Caixeta and 16 points in the losing effort. Uberlândia outhit Osasco 45% to 35%. This was Uberlândia‘s first set loss of the season.
- Hinode/Barueri beat Vôlei Bauru 3-2 (25/22 20/25 20/25 25/18 12/15) behind Fernanda Silva’s 23 points on 15/27 (56%) hitting, 7 blocks included. Yoana Palacio had 23 points in the losing effort.
- BRB/Brasília beat Renata Country/Valinhos 3-0 (25/21 25/17 25/17) behind Maria Luisa’s 16 points. Natalia Fernandes had 10 points in the losing effort.
Team of The Week: SESC/RJ
Given the huge amount of money it invested in the pre-season, everybody expected Uberlândia to dominate Superliga’s standings. What people did not expect, however, is that a broken and injured SESC team would be doing so well despite having suffered major setbacks in the start of the season, as the team lost 2 of its national teamers opposite hitters to injury. It has however, gutted and grinded its way to the runner ups spot in Superliga’s standings, having won all of its nine games so far, with only 4 sets lost.
This week, SESC went against Minas, a powerful team in its own right, and despite losing its first set, quickly rebounded to take home the victory. This was a good motivation builder for SESC’s next two Superliga’s rounds, as the competition will be reaching its halfway mark, and SESC will face title favorites Uberlândia and Osasco, Brazil’s biggest volleyball derby.
Player of the Week: Nicolle Fawcett
The round’s most impressive stat-sheet came from former Team USA’s Nicolle Fawcett, who is slowly coming into her best physical condition. She scored 22 points, 5 blocks included, in Uberlândia‘s victory against Osasco, shining in clutch moments. Her hitting percentage also improved a bit from her last outings, as she hit 17/42 for a reasonable 40%. Will she develop even further, and go back to her dominating days?
|7||ESPORTE CLUBE PINHEIROS||14|
|8||SAO CRISTOVAO SAUDE/SAO CAETANO||9|