P1440 San Jose Invitational
- Avaya Stadium; San Jose, California
- Sept. 28-30, 2018
- Health & Wellness / Training / Concert Schedule
- Results available on the P1440 app and on p1440.com
The on-court competition field is set, the live musical lineup is ready to take the stage and the health, wellness, training and activity slate is packed with opportunities for engagement at the San Jose Invitational, the opening stop on three-time Olympian Kerri Walsh Jennings’ P1440 Tour.
The professional beach volleyball, music festival and health and wellness event series was created by Walsh Jennings and her husband Casey with the goal of helping themselves and the rest of the world live all 1440 minutes of the day with purpose.
“I am beyond privileged to have this amazing opportunity to create the movement that is p1440, alongside my husband and our amazing team,” Walsh Jennings said. “p1440 was established to unite, elevate, service and give back to the sport that has given me so much! I can’t wait for people to experience the p1440 lifestyle in full effect at Avaya Stadium grounds for the first time ever.
“So much heart, soul, love and inspired effort has gone into this movement; our focus is on innovation and on creating an evergreen platform that will highlight the best our amazing sport has to offer—incredible athletes, unbeatable lifestyle and a focus on the universal truth that living in the moment is the most powerful way to live. The fact that our inaugural event is happening in Northern California, where I fell in love with the sport, makes this an absolute dream come true. We look forward to hosting you at the most inspired and immersive sport, wellness, lifestyle event you’ve ever experienced.”
The Nitty Gritty
- 24 teams per gender with six qualifying on site on Thursday
- Prize money totaling $300,000
- First place – $28,000 per gender
- Second place – $18,000
- Third place – $12,000
- Qualification tournament is set for Thursday, Sept. 27
- Main Draw action begins at noon ET Friday through Sunday
- 2,700 tons of sand are being brought in to build custom courts on the Avaya Stadium grounds
An elite field of international volleyball stars will compete on the Avaya Stadium grounds including defending FIVB World Tour Finals champions Anders Mol/Christian Sorum of Norway and fifth place finishers on the women’s side, Canada’s Heather Bansley/Brandie Wilkerson.
Walsh Jennings will be competing alongside Swiss star Anouk Verge-Depre. Her husband Casey will be pairing up with Brazil’s Pedro Solberg.
Two men. Two countries. One team. Casey Jennings (USA) teams up with Pedro Solberg (Brazil) to take on the competition at the p1440 San Jose Invitational! #p1440 pic.twitter.com/OH9Zt2XMga
— p1440 (@platform1440) September 13, 2018
In conjunction with the California Beach Volleyball Association, the top two men’s and women’s team finishers from the Gene Selznick Memorial Open qualified to compete in San Jose.
- Jessica Sykora/Delaney Knudsen
- Brittany Tiegs/Mackenzie Ponnet
- David Vander Meer/Lev Priima
- Mark Burik/David Lee
The men’s main draw teams are:
- Casey Jennings (USA)/Pedro Solberg* (USA)
- Adrian Gavira/Pablo Herrera (Spain)*
- Aleksandrs Samoilovs*/Martins Plavins (Latvia)
- Alvaro Filho/Ricardo Santos (Brazil)
- Grant O’Gorman/Ben Saxton (Canada)
- Bill Kolinske/Miles Evans (USA)*
- Anders Mol/Christian Sorum (Norway)
- Troy Field/Chase Frishman (USA)
- Hagen Smith/Steven Irvin (USA)
- Piotr Marciniak/Chaim Schalk (USA)
- Harley Marques/Neilton Santos (Brazil)
- Chase Budinger/Sean Rosenthal (USA)
- Jeremy Casebeer/Reid Priddy (USA)
- Billy Allen/Theo Brunner (USA)
- Mark Burik/David Lee (USA)
- David Vander Meer/Lev Priima (USA)
- Josh Binstock (Canada)/Dave Palm (USA)
- Phil Burrow/Garrett Peterson (USA)
The female main draw entries are:
- Kerri Walsh Jennings (USA)/Anouk Verge Depre (Switzerland)
- Carol Solberg/Maria Antonelli (Brazil)*
- Jolien Sinnema (Netherlands)/Taiana Lima (Brazil)
- Heather Bansley/Brandie Wilkerson (Canada)*
- McKenna Thibodeau/Cassie House (USA)
- Agnieszka Pregowska (Poland)/Jessica Gaffney (USA)
- Nicole Branagh/Lauren Fendrick (USA)
- Kelley Larsen/Emily Stockman (USA)
- Geena Urango/ Caitlin Ledoux (USA)
- Janelle Allen/Kerri Schuh (USA)
- Nicole Eiholzer (Switzerland)/Martina Bonnerova (Czech Republic)
- Nicolette Martin/Allie Wheeler (USA)
- Ali McColloch/Corrine Quiggle (USA)
- Sheila Shaw/Alexa Strange (USA)
- Brittany Tiegs/Mackenzie Ponnet (USA)
- Jessica Sykora/Delaney Knudsen (USA)
- Kimberly Hildreth/Sarah Schermerhorn (USA)
- Carly Wopat (USA)/Priscilla Piantadosi-Lima (Brazil/USA)
*P1440 sponsored athletes
The finals are set to be aired on ABC with three-time beach Olympian and International Volleyball Hall of Famer Holly McPeak and Emmy-award winning broadcaster Anne Marie Anderson calling the action on Sunday, Sept. 30.
“I am excited to be a part of the p1440 movement and vision,” McPeak said. “The potential that p1440 has to create more opportunities for volleyball players is great and I look forward to seeing them grow!”
The action throughout the weekend leading up to the finals will be live streamed on p1440.com with Beach Volleyball Hall of Famers Sinjin Smith, Randy Stoklos, Mike Dodd and Tim Hovland providing the commentary. Smith, Stoklos and Dodd also boast a spots in the International Volleyball Hall of Fame.
“I am ecstatic and feel incredible satisfaction that p1440 has so many amazing and talented announcers and volleyball legends as our commentators for our inaugural event in San Jose,” Walsh Jennings said. “Anne Marie and Holly are the perfect broadcasters to call the finals—they have so much experience announcing volleyball and an abundance of knowledge about our sport; fans will be in for a real treat. We also have iconic professional beach volleyball players, who I have looked up to throughout my career, coming together to announce our live stream. It is so meaningful not only to me, but to the entire volleyball community that Sinjin, Randy, Mike and Tim are going to participate in p1440’s endeavors to elevate the sport on an international level. These guys are living legends and they will provide insight and storytelling that the sporting world will love.”
The P1440 San Jose Invitational includes a health and wellness village with tips from experts, yoga sessions, cooking demos and product samples. The Kid’s Court features bounce houses, rock climbing and kid friendly workouts. The Boardwalk allows attendees to interact with performers from juggles to magicians, street dancers and balloon artists. The Development Village allows patrons to participate in workouts ranging from volleyball skills to high-intensity exercise sessions. A full lineup of featured speakers and activities is here.
Also a part of the festival atmosphere is a nightly concert slate featuring LA-based Foster the People, Grouplove, Daya, Marian Hill and Magic Giant across the three-day event. Music begins at 7:30 p.m. PT Friday and Saturday and at 4 p.m. Sunday.
The concert series has introduced a Spotify playlist to get patrons ready for the stage.